Know About Tutor
I am a piano and vocal teacher and collaborative pianist with over 15 years’ experience. I have multiple qualifications including an Associate Diploma in Piano Performance by the Australian Music Education Board (AMEB), a Licentiate Diploma in Piano Performance from Trinity College London, and a Bachelor in Classical Music, majoring in piano and minoring in contemporary vocal. I have taught over 150 students across the ABRSM, Trinity Classical, Trinity Rock and Pop, Australian Guild and Guildhall syllabuses and have collaborated with ensembles such as the Fresco Harmonica Ensemble who represented Malaysia in the World Harmonica Festival in Trossingen, Germany.
Piano and Vocal Teacher – Private teaching
December 2004 – Present | Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia & Melbourne, Australia
As a private piano and vocal teacher, I strive to teach and coach my students based on their strengths and interests. I tailor programs that suit my students’ goals, so they can get the best out of themselves and our classes.
● I specialise in teaching traditional syllabus, leisure syllabus or play-by-ear
● I work with all genres of music and specialise in Pop Vocal and Classical Piano
● I work with my students to prepare for exams, competitions and performances
● I teach music theory including music history, interpretation, analysis and sight-reading
● I teach students of ages ranging from 5 to 60 years old
● I predominantly teach 1 on 1, but also teach group classes
● I have experience teaching 6 special-needs children (autism)
As a collaborative pianist, I have extensive experience working with instrumentalists, vocalists as well as dancers (ballet, tap and jazz). I understand the nuances of working with other performers and can collaborate effectively to produce a high quality performance.
● May 2019 – Collaborative pianist for a Japanese Flautist performing at the Enthronement of His Majesty, the New Emperor of Japan
● February 2019 – Collaborative pianist for Muzik Nacht mit Harmonica in KL, Malaysia
● November 2018 – Collaborative pianist at 16th Malaysian Choral Eisteddfod International Choral Festival.
● November 2018 and July 2014 – Collaborative pianist at Bel Canto Music Festival in Sandakan, Malaysia
● September 2018 – Collaborative pianist at UM-NUS Golf Tournament in The Palace of Golden Horses, Malaysia.
● July 2018 – Collaborative pianist at Chin Yong Music Festival in KL, Malaysia.
● June 2018 – Collaborative pianist at the 5th National Harmonica Festival in KL, Malaysia.
● November 2017, October 2013, October 2009 – Accompanied the Fresco Harmonica Ensemble, representing Malaysia in the World Harmonica Festival in Trossingen, Germany
● August 2017 – Collaborative pianist for The Odyssey of Hummingway in KL, Malaysia.
● May 2017 – Collaborative pianist at Hammerklavier Music Festival in KL, Malaysia.
● August 2016 – Collaborative pianist at the Asia Pacific Harmonica Festival, representing Malaysia in Taiwan.
● August 2015 – Collaborative pianist at Raffles International Music Festival in Singapore.
● January 2015, January 2014 and January 2013 – Staff pianist for the Winter Journey – an opera and piano accompanying workshop held annually in Hua Hin and Bangkok, Thailand.
● December 2013 and June 2013 – Collaborative pianist for Scene d’opera in KL, Malaysia.
● June 2013, July 2012, August 2014(OperaPlus)- Staff pianist for Pro Musica – an opera and piano accompanying workshop held annually in Penang and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
● August 2014 – Collaborative pianist at the Asia Pacific Harmonica Festival, representing Malaysia in Hangzhou, China
● May 2014 – Collaborative pianist for award-winning world class cabaret singer Sarah-Louise Young in two shows titled Favourite Things and Mother Tongue in KL and Malacca, Malaysia
● December 2013 – Vocalist for Nu Skin Convention in KL, Malaysia
● August 2010 – Collaborative pianist at the Asia Pacific Harmonica Festival, representing Malaysia in Singapore.
● December 2010, December 2009, December 2008 – Conductor for Christmas Caroling group by the Dithyrambic Singers
● Piano and Vocal teaching ● Student management
● Sight-reading ● Professional and educational communication
● Music Theory ● Lesson planning
● Solo performance and accompaniment ● Quadrilingual – English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Malay
Bachelor of Classical Music
UCSI University (Malaysia) — 2005-2009
Licentiate in Piano Performance (LTCL)
Trinity College London — 2007
Associate in Piano Performance (AMusA)
Australian Music Examination Board — 2003